Saturday, January 24, 2009

Kindness of Strangers

Last Sunday my family experienced the kindness of strangers in our friendly little Michigan community. We were all in the car (my husband, child, dog and myself) returning from a visit to my mother about two hours away. Our little one was getting antsy in the car, so we turned on WKAR for the classical music which always seems to sooth our child. My husband, driving, was enjoying the music so much he totally missed the entrance to our neighborhood. Then he seemed paralyzed as to what to do at the next road and ended up pulling into an unplowed side road.

Our car has all wheel drive, so I was not concerned until I realized we were clearly stuck in the snow. Shortly after my husband got out to push and I took the wheel, a kind couple stopped to help us out. Being a professional organizer I really should be prepared with a winter car kit like the one described in this article, but I was not and have never been stuck in 20 years of Michigan winter driving. Fortunately, our good Samaritans were prepared with a shovel neatly tucked into the back of their car. Five minutes had not passed and another gentleman stopped to help push us out.

It really made us feel good that folks in our community are so helpful. We hope we can do the same sometime soon.

1 comment:

  1. Kindness does inspire kindness, I agree. In my life, I've been blessed to know a lot of kind people who give of themselves with no thought of receiving anything in return and if we were all to act like this,

    'imagine the world we would create!
    Each of us treating strangers
    as our other half,
    where nothing was too much
    for the well-being of another
    and selfishness was forgotten,
    a thing of the past.'
    (from my book 'Family and More - Enemies or Friends?')

    Thank you for sharing your story.

    Helena Harper
    www.helenaharper.com
    helenaharpersblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete