Monday, January 09, 2006

Get Organized Month!

Simply Organized Life is a member of the National Association of Professional Organizers (www.napo.net). NAPO has designated January as Get Organized or GO Month! Throughout the month of January I will be sharing lots of free tips to help you on your organizing journey this month.

I always say to my clients that getting (or being) organized is a process, not an event. Even Professional Organizers need to declutter from time to time. That is exactly what my husband and I did yesterday in our basement in honor of GO Month.

Given my profession, we probably have less "stuff" in our basement than "most people" but that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement or a need to pare down a bit from time to time. Over time we all have a tendency to accumulate "stuff" and I am no exception.

Our goal yesterday was to make room for some new holiday decorations without buying additional shelving or storage products (I will let you know what I think about some popular organizing products in another essay later).

We tend to forget about those things in our basement. You know, out of sight, out of mind. It was amazing what my husband I found that we could release to be donated, recycled, or sold on eBay. These things are no longer serving their purpose for us, but we know that there is someone out there that can use these things now!

When you take on your GO Month project be sure to keep in mind that items you may be saving to be used "someday" might be better put to use by someone else "right away"!

No comments:

Post a Comment