Monday, December 12, 2011

Stress Free Holiday Tip #9

Tip #9: The Reason for the Season


As I near the end of my 10 Tips for Stress Free Holidays, it seems time for contemplation over why we do all that we do during the holiday season.
No matter what faith or what holiday you will celebrate this season, I hope that you will take time to remember why you celebrate. At the end of the day and the end of the holiday season, that is what matters most.
I know that finding time for yourself or any type of quiet contemplation can be difficult at this time of year. In my home there is still some decorating to be done (if I so choose), shopping, wrapping and finishing up that photo book for my mother that I started way too late.
However, I truly believe that if you take a few minutes out of each day to ground yourself during this busy season, you and your family will benefit tremendously. This can be done alone, with your family or with a group.
One of my clients makes a point to wake up early before her family for quiet time. Many of us choose to worship with others in a spiritual group. In my household, opening up an Advent calendar and eating the chocolates inside is an evening ritual that includes a chance to remember why we celebrate Christmas in our family.
Whatever holiday you are celebrating this season, be it Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzah, the New Year or something else, take a few moments out of each day to remember the reason for the season.
Carolyn Anderson-Fermann is a public speaker, organizing expert and founder of Simply Organized Life. Carolyn will be speaking on "The Secrets of a Simply Organized Life" this Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at the Dexter United Methodist Church monthly soup and salad dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment