Monday, December 05, 2011

Stress Free Holiday Tip #8

Tip #8: Accept Imperfection

True confession time....My name is Carolyn and I am a recovering perfectionist.
Fortunately, I have a team at home reminding me daily that perfectionism is not the way to go. My husband is a get it done kind of guy. You know, done is the new perfect. My young children teach me that what doesn't matter, doesn't matter. And the big dog gives lots of love while making sure the house has that lived in, dog hair everywhere, feel.
The holiday season has a way of bringing forth the perfectionist in nearly everyone. Even my husband was intent on finding the perfect tree this past weekend at a local tree farm. We found and cut down a lovely imperfect fraser fir that now graces our home with mismatched ornaments (all the fragile ones at the top).
The thing about holiday induced perfectionism is that it causes more stress at an already stressful time. If we can accept that things will not be perfect at the holidays or any day, we can relax and enjoy the blessings that we do have.
Carolyn Anderson-Fermann is a public speaker, organizing expert and founder of Simply Organized Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment