Monday, February 20, 2012

Keeping Clutter Free

Bryan from
Ann Arbor Rug and Carpet
It is one thing to get organized and another thing to stay organized. Sometimes it takes something extra to keep clutter at bay. 


A little external pressure can be motivating in the journey to be organized. This might be inviting visitors over on a fairly regular basis (as long as you do not stash everything into paper bags and hide it in an unused room!).


For me, a nearly annual ritual of having the carpets and tiles in my home professionally cleaned helps keep me clutter free. Last week, Bryan and his crew from Ann Arbor Rug and Carpet Cleaning came in to clean the usual high traffic areas and a few of the low traffic areas depending on need. 


Even though I am a professional organizer, clutter still creeps in and the floors get dirty. By playing upon my neurotic quest for a clean home, I also got rid of that huge stack on reading material on my nightstand, not to mention the massive collection of Lego blocks that had taken up residence in the living room. By having to move nearly everything up off the floor, I could no longer ignore clutter build up. 


In your journey to be organized, find something that gives you pleasure (for me it is super clean floors) and link it up with your desire to clear clutter. Perhaps you could organize a dinner party potluck or maybe do some good old fashioned spring cleaning? Just remember not to burn out and take it one small space at a time. 


Carolyn Anderson-Fermann is a public speaker, organizing expert and founder of Simply Organized Life. On Friday, March 2, 2012 Carolyn will be presenting "Secrets of a Simply Organized Life" with Ann Arbor Rec & Ed. There is a $25 fee for this public event. Register with Ann Arbor Rec & Ed. 

1 comment: