Saturday, September 30, 2006

Preparedness: Your Computer

This last day of September, I realize that my blogs for National Preparedness Month have been few and far between. For that, I apologize. I do hope you have gained useful and timely information from the blogs that were posted.

One area of preparedness that we might neglect is our computers. We have become so dependent upon these machines that it is important to keep them "tuned up" much like we would a automobile.

A week ago today, my computer decided to have a total meltdown, or a total breakdown if I am to continue with the automotive metaphor. I had gotten a little lax about backing up my data, but anything important was saved and most of the pieces are back together again.

The lesson to be learned is to backup often, use proper security precautions and to keep software up to date. The other lesson to be learned is to let go of those things that were lost and keep on going. Nothing is forever.

1 comment:

  1. Those one-touch pushbutton backup drives seem to work pretty well for Windows and Mac users. I'd go with a name brand unless you're very computer-savvy. I'm sure that some of the off brands have ok warranties (and I use some myself) but the quality of the software that comes with them that a novice user has to rely on is much better from what I've seen with the good brands.

    Depending on the importance of those computer files, you may also want to consider getting the backup offsite (away from the house). Ask yourself, "if my house burned down, is there information on there that I'd be in a world of hurt without?" If the answer is "yes," for heavens sake, take that backup drive to work and lock it in your desk drawer there, or keep it at the house of a trusted friend or relative.

    Since I rely on computers for a living, I actually rotate two of those disk backups. I take the latest one to work and bring the other one home... the odds are small but if something went wrong during the making of the backup itself I have the previous one to rely on.

    Also, if the really important files are few and small enough, those portable USB "keychain" drives are excellent, and cost as little as $15 or so, depending on capacity. Then you can carry them in your purse or pocket.

    ReplyDelete